A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Tipping Point--What's Below the Iceberg?

I wonder sometimes what it takes to get an iceberg to tip over. With icebergs, you see only a tiny amount of the mass of the iceberg, just that little bit sticking out above the water. What is below the point you see? The iceberg mass could be simply huge. Why do I mention this? I look around me at the parts of the world I see. Visible poverty, hungry children, homeless people. Are the poor people I see the tip of the iceberg?
As an example, I think of Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe was once known as the breadbasket of Africa. Then a myriad of conditions occurred and this beautiful country saw inflation spiral out of control. It is estimated that inflation reached a peak of 500 billion percent in 2008 and the country began issuing 100 trillion dollar notes (1). $100,000 Zimbabwe dollars, once a small fortune, seemingly overnight became too little to buy a loaf of bread (see a 2009 article called Two Loaves of Bread Cost $50 Billion in Zimbabwe). I remember when the Zimbabwe dollar was almost on a par with the South African Rand, probably less than 20 years ago! Pensioners were left destitute. Unemployment was rife. Farms stopped functioning. The breadbasket was no longer exporting, but instead required imports and food aid. What still astounds me is that, in spite of the huge amount of problems facing the country, it still carried on. On the surface, I suspect things still looked okay and many tourists still travelled through the country. The country groaned, yet seemed to function. What was beneath the iceberg? Individuals knew their pain. I read recently that Zimbabwe is clawing herself out of turmoil and inflation has stabilised by measures put into place, for example the country now uses the US dollar as its currency. I hope she recovers fully.

I look around me at a well functioning Western world system. I see some poverty. Homelessness is growing. What lies beneath? What does it take for large scale shanty towns to start forming here, like I saw every day in Africa? When will society see a problem with one individual as a looming problem for what society might be, and make sure the individual gets back onto his or her feet? I know someone in poverty--how do I help her? If the iceberg tips over today, how long will it take to recover and restore? Ten years? Twenty?

(1)  Zimbabwe Has Just $217 in the Bank

Note: I am not an expert on this topic, I sometimes think too far ahead and see problems that could occur, and that might never happen--it is a strength of mine, and is good for risk management and mitigation planning, but can also be seen as making a mountain out of a molehill as often (thankfully), tipping point will never be reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment