A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Saturday 29 September 2012

Why Did I Write My Book?

Below is the preface I recently added to my book--I thought context was necessary before anyone jumped in to read the content, setting the scene for the map as it were. Do you have any thoughts on this? Please comment! 



Why Did I Create This Book?

Changing Mindsets


You will notice throughout this book that I spend lots of time writing about changing mindsets towards people challenged in many ways. Perhaps this is because I believe that, at various times, and in many different ways, I have experienced some of life’s hurts that most of you will bump up against: things like rejection, discrimination, bullying, condescending attitudes. Some of these experiences take place in my own mind, my mindsets. It feels as if I have been wrapped up in bubble wrap that restricts my movements, stops me from speaking freely, makes me look ugly, and hides the real me. I heard an excellent sermon once about fear, and a similar analogy was used to explain this concept (see the chapter called “Fear, Anger, and Bullying”, section called “What Does a Lifetime of Fear Do?”): We put on trappings of fear sometimes based on experiences, and this cripples us seemingly in physical ways, like stopping us from speaking. Some of us then spend our lives unlearning these behaviours, and we may throw off the trappings of fear, but our outward appearance does not change, and we need to learn to behave in new ways. I used to wonder what was wrong with me, why it seemed difficult to fit in at times, and it felt as if I did not know the real me. Writing is freeing my expression of ideas in ways I could never have imagined before.

Growth Through Learning


My writing stems from my life experiences and my thoughts. I’ve attended management training courses and wondered why these principles are not taught to everyone: for example, conflict management, emotional intelligence, and general leadership principles. Some people I used to work with wondered why I was so enthusiastic attending training I might never use and which was not seen as a necessary part of my job. I believe all can benefit from training like this and that constant growth is vital, to suspend fixed mindsets and be open always to new ways of seeing things and to be open to other peoples’ viewpoints; to experience constant growth towards wisdom. I believe some form of leadership training and a process of uncovering talents and knowing one’s identity should be part of school curriculums, and this will positively influence our future leaders in their formative years today. I believe all can benefit from basic leadership principles: from old to young, from leaders to housewives, the working and the unemployed, the able bodied and people with challenges; everyone.


Perception’s Black Swan: Everyone Has Purpose


I wonder if a phenomenal change in perception may be the next Black Swan Event…
The best way to cause change in our lives is to change our mindsets, which influences our perception. Our thinking influences our actions and our behaviour. If we change our thinking, we will change our actions, and cause a change in our worlds. If more and more of us do this, we will make a difference to the world as a whole. It starts with each one of us, with our own perceptions.
There is a phenomenon known as a “Black Swan Event”, so named because sometimes unexpected happenings can cause a massive divergence from the past. In the book called The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, April 2007, Random House, it is mentioned that people never used to know or concede that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of Black Swans in Australia proved this theory wrong. Thus, the discovery of extraordinary talents where these are least expected proves that we must never take anyone for granted. Talents exist in unexpected places, not only in people who are outwardly beautiful. Think of the success of previously ignored music superstars, who come from seemingly nowhere, yet who have massive talent and are snatched up in random events auditioning for reality TV, and are warmly and tearfully embraced by a searching world. There was never anything wrong with singers who seem to astound the audience when talent emerges from what seems an unlikely frame. I believe the world, each one of us, must make sure we provide the means for all the people to use and free their talents. Someone who has previously been ignored for all of his or her life might just change the world someday.

Impacting the World: the Butterfly Effect


I believe we have the keys to peace and prosperity within our grasp, and I wanted to get this message out there. This message is being preached all around us every day. We know we must be friendly towards others, show caring, avoid discriminating, yet many of us do not actually take this to heart and actively practice this. When we see someone who is lonely, most of us will look the other way. When we see someone who is hungry, we push it to the back of our minds. Various media are full of stories about famine in Africa, but this is something far away for us and we perhaps feel fleeting pity and then carry on with our lives. How can each of us make a difference when the world is so immense? It feels as if all I can do is add a drop to the ocean, but sometimes drops create ripples that spread wide, and, if more join, the tide may turn and make a difference to the world. This is known as the butterfly effect.

In essence, I hope to inspire other people to discover their own answers by reading this book. My faith, my journey, my thoughts…

No comments:

Post a Comment